Colombia. Banco de Bogotá received the certification from Icontec that qualifies it as the first Colombian bank to be carbon neutral, due to its commitment to the reduction of corporate greenhouse gas emissions and the development of a decarbonization route with mitigation and compensation plans.
"Receiving this certification validates the effort we have made at Banco de Bogotá in environmental matters in order to have an increasingly sustainable operation. Our commitment is not only to Colombia, but to the world and generations to come, so combating climate change is a strategic priority for us. Thanks to the reduction, mitigation and compensation plans, we managed to bring 9,000 tons of CO2 equivalent per year to zero," explained Isabel Cristina Martínez, Vice President of Sustainability and Corporate Services at Banco de Bogotá.
The Bank of Bogotá carried out 10 actions to meet the commitment to become carbon neutral:
1. Adherence to the Colombia Carbon Neutral program of the National Government led by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development.
2. The measurement of 100% of its carbon footprint for three consecutive years in offices and administrative headquarters under the methodological guidelines of the Greenhouse Gases Protocol -GHG Protocol-; which allowed to establish a baseline verified by Icontec.
3. The installation of renewable energy production methods in its operations.
4. The purchase of 100% energy with Renewable Energy Certificates.
5. The implementation of new technologies to reduce energy consumption.
6. The installation of intelligent energy consumption analyzers.
7. The implementation of a data management tool that allows capitalizing on savings in energy and water.
8. Air conditioning system changes to use more environmentally friendly refrigerants
9. Office certification with the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) sustainable construction seal. 10. The compensation of part of its emissions by reforesting in the Colombian Amazon by indigenous peoples.
The financial institution is one of more than 200 Colombian companies that have carbon neutrality agreements that will join forces to meet the national goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 51% by 2030.
Banco de Bogotá is the first company in the financial sector to achieve Icontec's carbon neutrality certificate and ensures that it will continue to work hand in hand with the National Government and entities such as the Ministry of Environment, to reduce the environmental impact of the general operation.
Leave your comment